Jay Leno sustained serious burn injuries to the left side of his face and hands from a vehicle fire over the weekend. The comedian and car collector was working at his Los Angeles garage on Saturday when an accidental flash fire started in one of his cars. Leno was taken to the Grossman Burn Center in West Hills and early reports indicate that the flames did not penetrate his eyes or ears. A Las Vegas performance scheduled for Sunday was canceled.
“I got some serious burns from a gasoline fire. I am ok. Just need a week or two to get back on my feet,” Leno said in a statement to NBC News on Monday.
Leno is one of the most prominent classic car collectors in the industry with 181 cars and 160 motorcycles in his vast collection. The duPont Registry valued his collection at $52 million and he maintains a staff of mechanics and coachbuilders to restore and maintain his vehicles.
He hosted The Tonight Show from 1992 to 2009 and then 2010 to 2014. Since 2015 he’s hosted his automotive show, Jay Leno’s Garage, where he reviews classic cars and provides his comedic flare and insight for each vehicle.